If you ask professional website owners/bloggers, not building a subscriber list is the no. 1 mistake they would admit. So why is it that some people still commit the same mistake?
Simple. Because there’s a false presumption that email marketing is dead. So if you’re not building a list, you’re making a BIG mistake.
Let’s take Jake, for example.
Jake is too cool to build a list. What he’s doing is that he’s promoting his website via paid traffic, hoping that people would buy. The thing is that only a tiny percentage of sales happen during the first interaction that a person has with a product/service.
- They may like Jake, but they don’t feel enough of a connection with him to justify a purchase yet.
- It was not convenient for them to buy at the time when Jake sent them to his website, from one of his ads.
- They feel they should take a few days to be sure.
- They want to check with their spouse/partner.
- They don’t have the money to make a purchase until the next week.
- They are comparing Jake’s products with others.
- They are just the type of buyer who needs to be closed.
There could be a LOT of reasons that people don’t buy, as well as solutions to get your product right into their hands. One particular book that has helped me a lot is The Closer’s Survival Guide by renowned sales trainer, entrepreneur, and best-selling author, Grant Cardone. He also has an app that almost has a hundred closes, so make sure to check it out!
These days, the term “close” sort of has a bad connotation to it, but that’s just because of the people who try to sell products on “how to sell without selling”. This is especially true for people who don’t feel comfortable selling – like ME, honestly. Or at least I didn’t use to.
With all that said, closing is really important. No matter how amazing your product is, you need to establish a relationship with people and close them eventually. Otherwise, you’re going to lose a lot if you are not able to follow up with them. This is one of the reasons why you absolutely must build a list.
What’s The Solution?
Obviously, the solution is to build a list!
- Generates leads
- Converts leads into customers in the future
- Builds trust and goodwill in your audience (i.e. sending them useful content for free)
- Serves as your asset, your audience, and traffic source that you can control
- Stops you from losing potential sales from people who want to give your product/service a chance
As an online marketer, it is therefore your responsibility to find a way to keep following up to your subscribers by showing them value. You must show them that they are going to get a lot of value from your product/service.
Whether you’re just getting started or you’re already a seasoned online marketer, you need to make sure you are not missing great opportunities to build your list. Explore every potential touch point in the marketing journey for more possibilities that make sense for you and your business.
Best of luck!