Starting a blog is easy. You can even do it with free hosted options like Blogger, TypePad, and WordPress. However, you’ll get the most control using self-hosted WordPress, which is what most serious bloggers use.
If you’re new to WordPress, here’s a quick guide for you to get started:
- Set up your domain name and hosting account. Register your domain name. Once you’re done, you need to set up a hosting account. This is where your blog/website will come to life. It’s a web server where you’ll rent a space to install the WordPress software and manage your site.
- [If your web host has automatic WordPress install, you can just use that and then skip steps 3 thru 6.]
- If you don’t have automatic WordPress install on your web hosting platform, you need to manually install WordPress by downloading WordPress files from org.
- Once you have the WordPress files, extract the files and upload them via FTP client (I recommend FileZilla) to your website’s directory.
- With your web host’s control panel (usually, it’s cPanel), locate the database management section, and then create a MySQL Database.
- Once you’re done setting things up, visit com and WordPress will start its 5-minute installation process. Simply fill out the form with the requested information.